Colony Enterprise Authority (Compliance Department)
Position Title: Chief Compliance Officer
Supervisor: Executive Director of Compliance Department
Status: Regular Full-time (Monday-Friday 8:00-5:00 pm.)
Salary: $75,000 – $100,000 annually, based upon experience
Posting Date: Beginning February 1, 2021—Open until filled
The incumbent will manage the Compliance Department within the ColonyEnterprise Authority, an agency and instrumentality of the Reno-Sparks Indian Colony (RSIC). The Department is the regulatory body responsible for the licensing, taxation and regulation of all cannabis related activities on RSIC lands. The incumbent will be charged with ensuring that
all aspects of the Authority’s cannabis business operations comply with the RSIC Marijuana Ordinance (Ordinance), the Marijuana Regulations, the State-Tribe Cannabis Agreement, and the internal policies & controls of the Tribe and the Authority. The Executive Director will be responsible for developing and implementing policies, procedures, compliance standards, and regulations in accordance Tribal laws. The standards and procedures will be no less strict than those adopted by the State of Nevada. Further, the Executive Director will ensure that all cannabis activities on RSIC lands (whether production, processing, or retail) are in compliance
with applicable law.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Develop, implement, review, revise and maintain procedures in order to ensure cannabis companies, workforce and products are in compliance with rules, regulations and compliance standards.
- Perform licensing and background checks on the employees of companies and issue appropriate licenses in a timely and accurate manner.
- Conduct diligence and, if approved, license marijuana facilities and operations.
- Impose, collect, reconcile, maintain and report to the Board all taxes and licensing fees related to marijuana operations and transactions.
- Identify potential areas of compliance risk and implement corrective plans for resolution.
- Ensure all METRC tagging, transformation of inventory, and movement of inventory are compliant with the Tribal-State Cannabis Agreement, Ordinance and RSIC Regulations.
- Make certain that the “seed to sale” tracking software is properly selected, implemented and operational to ensure Compliance with applicable law and regulations, including the Tribal/State Cannabis Agreement.
- Verify that proper testing of cannabis procured and sold on RSIC lands has been performed in accordance with applicable law.
- Enforce packaging and labeling standards applicable to cannabis products.
- Oversee internal audit.
- Document, track and maintain licensing records.
- Collaborate with external auditors, as necessary.
- Educate and train employees on regulations, compliance standards and industry practices.
- Implement best practices as reflected by compliance and rules changes in the evolving industry-related and state-mandated laws and regulations in the State of Nevada.
- Oversee any recall and/or health/public safety issues. This includes reporting to government agencies, developing communication to dispensaries and/or consumers, working with the companies to develop a corrective plan.
- Ensure that all cannabis operations and outlets are compliant with safety and other regulatory standards.
- Establish plans to manage a crisis or compliance violation.
- Provide timely and accurate financial reports to the Authority.
- Prepare annual budget, propose capital expenditures and develop an operation plan for the Compliance Department.
- Plan, implement and manage software, systems, controls and policies and procedures for the Compliance Department.
- Complete performance reviews in a prudent manner, as applicable.
- Hire and manage Department staff in accordance with the evolving needs of the Department and consistent with the Authority’s regulations.
- Performs other related duties as assigned.
- Minimum of a Bachelor’s degree in business, management, human resources, criminal justice or related field.
- 5+ years’ experience in regulatory/compliance positions.
- Demonstrated leadership experience.
- Preferred experience in a legal and regulatory industry.
- Must be able to work independently and prioritize multiple projects and tasks.
- Excellent communication and presentation skills, both oral and written.
- Preferred knowledge of cannabis laws, regulations and compliance standards in effect in the State of Nevada or similar regulatory environment.
- Must be bondable and able to pass a security background check.
- Capable of obtaining a valid Nevada Driver’s License within 6 months but no later than a year.
- Indian preference applies.
- Working knowledge of IT/Business infrastructure and MS Office Products, such as Excel, PowerPoint and Access, for example.
- Outstanding organizational and leadership abilities.
- Excellent interpersonal and public speaking skills.
To request an application, send an email request to: Dan MacNeil, Senior Staff Attorney at: email@example.com.
Closing Date: Open until filled.
PLEASE NOTE: Hiring preference will be given to qualified members of the Reno-Sparks Indian Colony followed by enrolled members of other federally recognized tribes. The Authority requires the selected candidate to successfully complete a pre-employment background check, drug screen, and confirmation of professional references.