Below please find the project update for the week of August 14 and anticipated traffic control for the week of August 21, 2017.
Second Street Project Update
This week the project team began removing the old asphalt from the I-580 ramps west to Kietzke Lane. The team is working on the south side of the roadway and is scheduled to pave the week of August 21. After paving the south side, crews will move east towards Galletti Way and then move to the north side of the roadway between Walmart and Kietzke Lane for removals around August 31. When crews are working on the south side, the I-580 southbound off-ramp will be closed. I-580 and Glendale Avenue/Second Street southbound on-ramp and both the northbound on and off-ramp will be open.
Rock Blvd. Update
Crews are working to make the final concrete pours at Rock Blvd. around August 25. Once the concrete reaches strength, between 8 and 10 days, the team will install median islands, complete the signal system, place striping, and open the roadway. We sincerely appreciate the patience of the community and businesses on and around Rock Blvd.
Drivers can expect increased traffic toward the end of this week with the arrival of Burning Man attendees. Please pay attention and watch for workers, obey traffic signs and laws and slow down in construction zones.
Traffic Control week of August 21, 2017
- I-580 and Glendale Avenue/Second Street southbound on-ramp and both the northbound on and off-ramp close 24 hours a day, seven days a week through the end of August.
- Lane closures on Glendale Ave. between Galletti Way and Kietzke Lane.
- South Rock Blvd. is closed at Glendale Ave./Second Street. Detour in place. Rock Blvd. is scheduled to reopen around the Labor Day holiday.
- Night time work begins from 7 pm to 5 am.
- No free right turns at northbound Kietzke Lane to eastbound Glendale Ave.
- Traffic is reduced to one lane in each direction from McCarran Blvd. to Kietzke Lane
- Speed limits may be reduced in certain construction zones.
- Bicyclists are advised to use alternate routes around the work zone.
- Traffic control is weather dependent.
Please support your neighborhood businesses in the project corridor. Sign up to receive project updates at GlendaleProject.com and you are eligible to receive a $25 gift card to a participating local business of your choice! One gift card distributed every week during construction.
Beginning Monday, August 14, Interstate 580 ramp closures and surface street lane shifts will take place as part of the NDOT construction. This construction may impact residents and visitors coming to and from the Reno-Sparks Indian Colony.
See the map below which shows the suggested detour routes as the southbound on-ramp exiting the Colony and both the northbound on and off-ramp between I-580 and Glendale Avenue/Second Street will close 24 hours a day, seven days a week.
However, the southbound I-580 off ramp getting into the Colony will remain open during this time.
Also, major construction will continue on Second Street/Glendale Avenue between Kietzke Lane and Galletti Way. The road will remain open to traffic, but both directions of traffic will first be shifted to the north side through the road work zone.
See the accompanying NDOT press release for more details.